Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Bamboo Cafe - Panda or Tiki or Both?

When I think of the Bamboo Cafe I can only think of two things: a panda bear sitting quietly in the corner of a room surrounded by people sipping on some hot beverages, or a tacky restaurant lit up bit tiki torches where people wear serve food in floral patterned hawaiian shirts. I don't know why, I just do. However, just as those images are puzzling so is the direction of where this little cafe is headed. It is located across the street from the Joyce Sky Train Station and has an eclectic collection of individuals who frequent the place. Over the years, it has been undergoing a bit of an evolution. It started as a coffee shop where people could run in, get a coffee and perhaps a baked good and head out on the next bus leaving the station. It then turned into a cafe that served hamburgers and french fries. Now it is a licensed cafe where locals can hang out, watch a bit of the game on the ol' tube and start up a tab. The food is fair enough considering that it is a restaurant by a skytrain station where people want their food by the time their bus is scheduled to leave. I sometimes see the place in the evening as I drive by, and there are still people passing through the place.

But what about the coffee? Since the beginning, the coffee seems to have been lost in the mix. Yet it is still hanging in there. The coffee is a better alternative to the drip coffee that I suffer through at work. They still make an americano with too much water no matter what I say. Some people just don't understand the concept of too much water in an americano.

Despite its scattered focus on what it is, the place still seems to be able to do brisk business. Perhaps it has actually found its niche. For the number of different people in the Collingwood Neighbourhood and the types of folks who flow through the station, perhaps The Bamboo has answered their calling: A cafe that does a little bit of everything. It's not my idea of a great business model, but hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Out of 5 Faresavers

Scene: 1 I find it difficult to be in there. You get everyone from neighbours to commuters. The lay out is a little bit better since they've expanded but somehow I find it a bit more on the tiki side of things rather than the panda - and I mean this not in a good way. I still go every once in a while, but I try not to linger.

Grub: 2 The food is fair, but it does feel a little bit like highway robbery. You pay for the convenience of being able to get something while in transit.

Coffee: 2 The coffee is at best inconsistent, but I will still go there because it is still better than the utilitarian coffee I am slugging back around the corner.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Same for me: "I go in there, but I don't linger". But I don't get the panda thing...?

Show Host said...

I think it's the name. The only customers I see eating at a cafe that serves bamboo would be pandas.